This year, the Liberian community should keep one important date in mind: December 20, 2020. On that date, one year from the enactment of LRIF, the USCIS will no longer accept properly filed applications, .Â
Liberians have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to obtain their â€śGreen Cardâ€ť under the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness (LRIF) Act. The LRIF allows certain Liberian nationals in the United States the opportunity to adjust to lawful permanent resident status.
However, to be eligible for permanent residence under LRIF, a Liberian national must have been continuously, physically present in the U.S. from November 20, 2014, to the date they properly apply for an adjustment of status. Also, be aware that the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) protections available to Liberian nationals are closing on January 1, 2021.
To be eligible under LRIF, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Properly files form I-485, application to register permanent residence or adjust status, by December 20, 2020;
- Be a national of Liberia;
- Have been continuously, physically present in the United States November 20, 2014 through the date of filing Form I-485;
- Be otherwise eligible for an immigrant visa. Meaning, be admissible to the U.S. for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief;
- Have not been convicted of any aggravated felony or two or more crimes involving moral turpitude; and
- Have not ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
Since the deadline is approaching soon, please donâ€™t wait until tomorrow! We need sufficient time to prepare your case properly.
Remember the date: December 20, 2020
By: Tom De Kesel, Immigration Attorney, June 10, 2020
Migration Resource Center provides affordable immigration legal services.
Call us: 646-609-8805
Visit our Website: https://www.migrationusa.org/contact/
To see more articles like this,Â subscribe to our monthly newsletter,Â MRC News. Have each issue delivered to your mailbox!